Mama taught me...


My pastor was talking to my brother and I a couple of weeks ago. He was going to be speaking to the youth group at our church about parents. He said children go through three phases with their parents...they idolize them, demonize them, and finally humanize them. I had honestly never thought of this, but it did make me think. Though I've sometimes disagreed with my mom, I don't believe I've ever demonized her or humanized her. I sincerely have never known anyone like her, so I can't compare her to anyone else. She has definitely been my inspiration for a lot and a huge encouragement through my life, but she also has taught me the most important things you can't learn in school or anywhere else...how to love, sacrifice, give, and keep faith! As I mentioned in my background post, I was born into a house with 4 kids. My mom worked 2 jobs often and made sure that most of all, my 3 cousins were never separated. That's sacrifice! She continued with her sacrificing when she worked at least 1 full time job and went to college and still made time for my brother and I. Most people know she's a kind person, but a lot of people never know what all she's given up and done for her family! Also as long as I can remember, she's always given her time, talents, and tithe to church. She taught herself at an early age to play the piano and later the organ because she wanted to play in church. She has always supported me, even when she has known I'm making a mistake, but she's always there to help if and when things go bad! The older I have gotten, the more I realize what she's done. I mentioned before her wealth of health problems and I won't go into detail, but when most people would have turned away from God and would have become angry and bitter, she didn't. I'm certainly not saying she's never questioned God or been upset about her situation, but most people would never know it. Whenever we moved to a new place...not often at all...she always looked for a church and something to do. Please don't think I'm trying to paint my mom as a perfect person, because I know she's not and no one is, but she's always willing to admit when she's wrong and apologize. She apologizes mostly for things that she shouldn't be sorry for, but that's her. She also gives so much to her family and friends. She doesn't always give material things, but she sends cards at the right time to encourage someone, she calls people if she knows they're sick or upset. She takes meals to people if they're sick, went to Africa to help a Christian missionary school and actually had to pay to do this. She had to pay for her place to stay, to do laundry, all expenses. The most precious thing I've seen though is the love between her and Anabeth. There is absolutely nothing like it! I'm very grateful that despite the fact that she wasn't suppose to see me graduate from high school, she now has an incredible relationship with her grandchild! Through it all, she has said that she knows she just has to stay faithful to God and until He takes her to heaven, He has plans for her! She gives and gives and is one of the only people that sincerely will give it all and never expect anything in return! I love that woman!!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angry Mom

The Evangelical Church

"Swim"