Being Mommy and Daddy

A friend's post on facebook today made me think.  I was never one of those little girls that dreamed of one day growing up to be a mommy.  In fact, as most of my family and friends will tell you, I said I never wanted kids.  I never babysat and really liked very few children!  One of the most precious things in my world now though is a little 2 1/2 year old girl named Anabeth.  As much as I never thought I wanted a child, I can't imagine my life without her in it!  She brings much joy and much anger sometimes within minutes of each other!  She is a very good, sweet child though for the most part and there's nothing better than a  hug and kiss and her telling me she loves me!  Those moments wipe away all the bad ones in one quick second!  She has also provided much entertainment for Matt and I over the past couple of years.  Watching her grow up at lightening speed has been bittersweet I have to admit because I miss my baby, but love seeing her milestones.  Recently she's really gotten into singing and I have to say that I don't think she's going to be the next american idol, but she has one sweet voice!  On the way to a baseball game recently, she decided to try out heavy metal and now will sometimes sing twinkle twinkle little star and the ABC song in her heavy metal version...quite humorous!  Mostly over the past couple of years though, I've learned that in large part kids that misbehave do so because of lack of or bad parenting.  I now know how difficult it is to be mommy...and daddy when Matt's gone...but too many parents these days either just don't care or want to be their friends.  As difficult as it is, if you choose to be a parent, you must also choose to be an adult.  It's so hard at times to not laugh at things Anabeth does that she shouldn't and there are times I just can't stop the laughter from coming and just have to try again later.  I've seen great reward though in the hard work because most people have never seen her bad side and those that have still haven't seen her bad for more than a minute.  There are days where I feel like I must be the worst mom on the planet or else she wouldn't act the way she's acting, but then I have to remind myself of a few things:  1.  She's 2 1/2.  2.  She's a healthy, beautiful, smart little girl.  3.  This too shall pass and I have to stay strong until it does!  So, if you find yourself judging others and don't have children, please give them a little break as long as you see them trying because they're likely mortified at their child's behavior and would give anything for it to stop.  If you see parents that don't even care...you can make obnoxious comments like Matt and I do often, or pray for the child because it's not their fault they have nothing better to work with.  I do try to pray for them too!  If you have children that may just be older, try to remember when your child was that age and how difficult it can be...especially if it's their only child!  Poor Anabeth and all first children are the experimental ones for their parents and tend to be trial and error.  I know that with the love I have for my child, I'm doing the best I can for her every day and I'm trying to help make her into what will one day be an amazing woman! It's a daily struggle sometimes, but I'm praying it all ends up worth it in the end and I am fortunate enough to have Matt by my side helping me!  I love you Anabeth and Matt!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angry Mom

The Evangelical Church

"Swim"