72 hours


72 hours can seem so long or like a second flashed by.  For me, 72 hours starting Saturday morning were like a snail going on the Appalachain trail!  Saturday morning Anabeth woke up with a fever between 101 and 102.  I gave her some Ibuprofen and she got better.  I went to church for a thing called "Mix It Up" and then went home and got some lunch.  Anabeth took a nap and her temperature started to go up again slowly and she wasn't herself.  Matt went to the store to get some things for dinner since we weren't going to be able to leave and while he was gone, she tells me she has to throw up.  Well, she ends up getting sick 4 or 5 times Saturday night/early Sunday morning and her temperature creeps back up to over 102.  With her vomiting, I wasn't going to give her any medicine.  When I woke up Sunday, her temperature seemed basically gone and she seemed much better.  I left for church and after class, Matt sends me a message that she got sick again and he'd only given her water.  I call the on-call nurse who tells me to take her to the ER and so my mom and I take her and Matt stays home with the dogs thinking we'll just get some fluids in her and come home.  When they did her blood work, they discovered her blood sugars were too low and her electrolytes were way out of whack.  It was showing that of someone that hadn't eaten in 2-3 days.  The doctor came in and told us it wasn't anything serious, but they needed to admit her overnight to make sure they got her back on track with eating and drinking.  She got some Zofran for vomiting, saline fluids, and dextrose for her blood sugars and was getting better.  She scared us all when she started getting a fever again and crying with her head hurting.  They did some tests and determined she may have just had a migraine as Matt and I both get them.  Thankfully, no meningitis or anything serious though.  They gave her some medicine and she was a new child.  She started drinking slowly and eating and then she was ready to play! Thank the good Lord there was a play room right outside of her room and she played with almost every toy and had us give her wagon rides around the floor and "drove" the flinstone car around the floor.  I was so happy to see her bounce back so fast, but my heart broke for some of the other children I saw there.  There was a little boy not much older if older at all and a young teenage girl that we never saw anyone come to visit.  I was so sad to imagine the fear they were facing virtually alone.  Seeing them made me not only grateful for my family, but also thankful that Anabeth wasn't sicker than she was! Even though she had to go to the hospital, the doctors, nurses, and techs were amazing and made her laugh and smile and made her so comfortable.  Before we left, one of the pastors at our church stopped by and absolutely made her day!  She felt so special to have someone come just to see her and praying for her!  Now just to getting back to a "normal" life and hopefully more sleep!  Thanks for everyone that was praying for us and that called us and a special thank you to Ganny for coming by both days and taking such good care of us! You truly do make us feel special and we love having you as a part of our family! A special "shout out" to Matt for taking care of our dogs and Macy and cleaning our house while I was with Anabeth!  I truly feel blessed to have the family I have and the friends I have! Love you all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Angry Mom

The Evangelical Church

"Swim"